Downloading and unzipping files from the internet might seem scary at first, but it really isn’t! Once you get the hang of it you will wonder why you were ever scared of doing it! It is so easy!
In this digital age, when downloading files from the internet, you will find that 99% of the time, the files you will download to your computer will be in a zipped folder.
I hear you ask ‘What is a Zipped folder?’ A zipped folder is simply just a compressed folder containing one or more files that have been combined into a single file to reduce their total file size, saving space, and making it easier for computers to upload and download.
The files are unusable when they are still in their zipped state, so you will need to unzip the files to release and to use the files. Most PC’s can do this very easily. For his tutorial I will download a free file from Digitalgemsdesigns.com as an example. Follow the steps below:
2) Add the file to your cart and click checkout.
3) Once you have checked out you will then be directed to a screen with a link to download your files (you will also receive an email with a link to download the files). Click the link.
4) The files will automatically download to your ‘Downloads’ folder in your file explorer on your computer. Click and open your file explorer. Your file explorer will look like this on your desktop:
5) In the file explorer you will see the file you have downloaded. The file will be in a zip file. Double click the zip file.
6) Then click ‘Extract all’
6) Your files are now unzipped and ready to use in your software.
Here at Digital Gems we understand that getting the perfect crafting materials, graphics, and fonts to use for your projects is very important! In our blog posts we may recommend companies that we use for crafting supplies, some of those links may be affiliate links. An affiliate links means we may get a small commission from any purchases you make from our recommendations at absolutely no extra cost to you!